The Master's program in Contemporary Dance Education (MA CoDE), successfully accredited according to the Bologna guidelines, is aimed at professional and experienced dancers, performers and choreographers who wish to explore the foundations of their work. The program, conceived under the direction of Prof. Ingo Diehl and established in the long term at the Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst Frankfurt am Main responds to the increasing demands and current artistic developments in the professional field. The Master of Arts degree equates to 120 ECTS credit points and qualifies for the third cycle of the Bologna Process.
- Competences: The English-language full-time program trains skills in developing and communicating the latest approaches to learning in the field of dance. Through a wide range of propositions/offers especially the personal interests of the students will be carved out and supported. The focus in education lies on a comparative methodology in contemporary dance and in group-processes as well as in somatic practices. The theoretical direction of the program focuses on new approaches in dance and training-science and physical research alongside processes of artistic documentation. Through supplemental focuses in the fields of communication and management students will be qualified to promote the development of structures and the dance field’s general framework. The M.A. program places itself internationally within the field of artistic research, theoretical contextualisation and practical use.
- Aims: The aim is to train dance educators who are capable of combining educational activities with high artistic aspirations as training directors or choreographic assistants in municipal theaters or on the independent scene, as dance educators at universities, in private dance schools, or in the municipal sector. Graduates should be able to implement their knowledge and skills in various working areas and shape the future of dance.
- Partners: The various offers and the connections with the professional field in the form of targeted projects and interdisciplinary exchange formats are carried out in association with the Hessian Theatre Academy and in close cooperation with the Motion Bank/Hochschule Mainz project (Institut Designlabor Gutenberg) and various foundations. The close collaboration with the international MA CoDE alumni network is integrated in the study course. The program currently cooperates with major events in the field, such as the German Dance Congress, the choreographer Jenny Beyer and the Choreographic Centre K3 at Kampnagel in Hamburg as well as the Künstlerhaus Mousonturm in Frankfurt or the Tanzhaus NRW. There are close partnerships with study programs at the universities DOCH Stockholm, the International Summer Academy of Hollins University (USA) in Berlin, the Academy for Cultural Education Remscheid and the Riveria Outokumpu dance department in Finland. Further informations on these outreach-projects you’ll find under News/Projects.
- standard period of study: 4 semesters
- start of study cycle: winter or summer semester (every 3rd semester)
- degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
- 120 ECTS Credits
- Language: English
Admission to the Master's program in Contemporary Dance Education requires:
- a Bachelor degree or a comparable academic degree or
- three years or more of professional experience (evidence must be submitted) in the field of dance as well as proof of knowledge and skills demonstrated at the entrance examination and equivalent to an academic degree required pursuant to lit. a).
For admission to this Master's program in Contemporary Dance Education a sufficient written and oral command of German or English is required. Admission to the Master's program in Contemporary Dance Education is also subject to candidates passing an entrance examination.