The officially accredited master's program according to the Bologna standards M.A. Contemporary Dance Education MA CoDE (formerly MAztp) was redesigned under the direction of Prof. Ingo Diehl and permanently established at Frankfurt University of Music and Performing Arts in 2012, after Tanzplan Deutschland came to an end. This program is aimed at professional dancers, performers and choreographers who are interested in exploring the foundations of their work. The program has been designed to respond to the increasing demands of the professional world and artistic developments in it. The full-time course, which is taught in English over four semesters, equates to 120 ECTS credit points and qualifies for the third cycle of the Bologna Process.
- Competences: The program trains skills in developing and communicating the latest approaches to learning in the field of dance. Through a wide range of propositions/offers especially the personal interests of the students will be carved out and supported. The focus in education lies on a comparative methodology in contemporary dance and in group-processes as well as in somatic practices. The theoretical direction of the program focuses on new approaches in dance and training-science and physical research alongside processes of artistic documentation. Through supplemental focuses in the fields of communication and management students will be qualified to promote the development of structures and the dance field’s general framework. The M.A. program places itself within the field of artistic research, theoretical contextualisation and practical use.
- Aims: The aim is to train dance educators who are capable of combining educational activities with high artistic aspirations as training directors or choreographic assistants in municipal theaters or on the independent scene, as dance educators at universities, in private dance schools, schools and kindergarten. Graduates should be able to implement their knowledge and skills in various working areas and shape the future of dance.
- Partners: The wide range of possibilities and contacts to working professionals are offered in association with the Hessian Theater Academy and in close cooperation with Tanzlabor_21/Tanzbasis Frankfurt_Rhein_Main, the Forsythe Company/Motion Bank and diverse foundations. The close collaboration with MA CoDE alumni network is integrated in the study course. With its innovative artistic and pedagogical concepts the program is represented at the essential major events oft he field such the German Tanzkongress, the festival Tanz im August in Berlin or in choreographic centres like K3 – Zentrum für Choreographie | Tanzplan Hamburg or Tanzhaus NRW in Düsseldorf. Furthermore the forward-looking conception of the study-program is extending through close co-operations with international study-programs from Hollins University USA and DOCH Stockholm. Further informations on these outreach-projects you’ll find under News/Projects.
- standard period of study: 4 semesters
- start of study cycle: winter or summer semester (every 3rd semester)
- degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
- 120 ECTS Credits
- Language: English
Admission to the Master's program in Contemporary Dance Education requires:
- a Bachelor degree or a comparable academic degree or
- three years or more of professional experience (evidence must be submitted) in the field of dance as well as proof of knowledge and skills demonstrated at the entrance examination and equivalent to an academic degree required pursuant to lit. a).
For admission to this Master's program in Contemporary Dance Education a sufficient written and oral command of German or English is required. Admission to the Master's program in Contemporary Dance Education is also subject to candidates passing an entrance examination.